When it comes to acquiring motivation, some people prefer to read books. Others read articles. When it comes to matters of personal development, however, and finding ways to cope with my emotions, I turn to quotes.
Why quotes? They are short, sweet, and pack that punch full of, what Oprah likes to call, an AHA moment.
Do I think a quote will cure my multiple sclerosis? Absolutely not. But I do think a quote will help me think about my situation a little bit differently, a bit more positively. And that makes all the difference on those days where I’m feeling more MS than awesome.
At the end of the day, it’s not what happens to you, but how you react to what happens to you. I choose to react with an open heart and mind and trust the words of the wise women and men who have traveled the path before me.
Read on to see the ten quotes that have inspired me to live my best life, despite my MS diagnosis.
- “There is one consolation in being sick, and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “To keep the body in good health is a duty… Otherwise, we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” – Buddha
- “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The first wealth is health.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “You spend a lot of time thinking about how awful the prison is rather than envisioning your future.” – Piper Kernan, Star of Orange Is The New Black
- “I thought having a chronic illness would make my life detour in ways I didn’t want to accept, but I’ve learnt that having a chronic illness made the only detours that are worth the growth.” – Nikki Rowe, Author of Once A Girl, Now A Woman
- “One really must suffer oneself to help others.” – Mother Teresa
- “The question is not how to survive, but how to thrive with passion, compassion, humor and style.” – Maya Angelou
- “Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional. We cannot avoid pain, but we can avoid joy.” – Tim Hansel
- “I’ve never met a strong person with an easy past.” – Unknown
Do you have a favorite quote? If so, please share below in the comments section.